For many of us, Macaroni and Cheese is a classic comfort food but unfortunately packed with carbohydrates. This is a great side dish that is tasty and low-carbohydrate to boot! This is another recipe from low-carbohydrate cookbook called “Eating Stella Style” by George Stella.
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
- olive oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- 2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1½ teaspoons of spicy (Dijon) mustard
- 1½ cups of shredded, sharp cheddar cheese, plus an additional ½ cup for topping the casserole.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and steam until crisp-tender.
- Dry the florets with some paper towels and transfer into a 8×8 baking dish that has been coated with olive oil.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until creamy.
- Now blend 1½ cups of the cheddar cheese into the cream/cream cheese mixture along with some salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Remove from heat and pour over the cauliflower in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake until brown and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes and serve.
You now have something that hits everyone’s comfort food button without all the unhealthy pasta carbs that go with traditional Mac and Cheese.