Patients begin a weight loss program with us and want to ramp up the exercise immediately. Although I think it great that a person is wanting to get fit, a sudden increase in exercise can actually have negative effects. It may stimulate a person’s appetite, they may injure themselves or exhaust themselves. Depending on your overall physical fitness, you may need to ease into exercise.
1. If you are used to a sedentary lifestyle, start at a level that you can easily perform.
2. If you are performing more exercise than before, you are still on the path to improve your fitness and health.
3. Build up your workouts week after week, increase either the intensity or the duration of time.
4. Remember, if you are more hungry than usual or lightheaded during or after exercise, then back off a little and you may need to report to your physician.
5. Don’t try to do too much. When starting out walking may be the best and safest way to burn fat.
6. Walking and other forms of exercise are also great stress relievers. During the walk, work out your problems and calm down with the walk or run.