These may seem silly, but the point is that sweating it out at the gym isn’t the only way to improve your health.
- Pit yourself against colleagues and have stair races.
- Invite a colleague to join you for a walk after lunch
- Install a new printer further away from your workspace.
- Instead of emailing or phoning, walk over to your colleagues and speak to them face-to-face.
- Invite a colleague for a cup of tea or coffee and walk around while drinking and chatting.
- Keep moving – take a break, walk around for a couple of minutes, stretch, take a few deep breaths.
- Tidy your desk and empty the trash can outside.
- Get a wireless headset for your phone and move around while making calls.
- Park your car at the far end of the car park.
- Get off the bus, metro or tram a few stops earlier than usual and walk the remaining distance.
Doing some small things consistently has been shown to reap substantially cardiovascular benefits.
September 21, 2009